12.18.2008

5 Things That Rock About the Holidays

While in my previous post I decided to slam the Christmas holiday season, I have now decided to add things that do not totally suck about Winter.

1. Fires/Heaters- There is no single better feeling than coming in from freezing (or preferably snowy) weather into a heated home. While a fire seems to make the feeling all the more magical, a heater also does the job quite nicely. Coming in from the cold into an unheated house is quite unenjoyable. It is never awesome to have one's toes, ears, or other extremities go numb while indoors.

2. Christmas Trees- While I find most holiday decorations to be entirely tacky, I have a soft spot for Christmas trees. Every year we pick out a short and squat Frasier Fir to occupy the space by our front window. The cats like to sleep under it and it smells good. With just a simple strand or two of plain white lights, a Christmas tree can look quite tasteful.

3. Mexican Food- While most families are eating ham or whatever it is that suits the holiday, (I honestly have no idea what traditional Christmas food is,) my family will be deep frying taco shells. For as long as I can remember my family has had Mexican food on Christmas day, and it is one of two traditions I actually enjoy, (the other being our annual Thanksgiving beach house rental.)

4. School/Work Break- This is pretty self-explanatory. Not working = fantastic.

5. Excess of Desserts- My mother just decided to bake a crapload of shortbread cookies and they taste amazing. I have no doubt that my aunt will cook up a load of chocolate and peppermint fudge by the time Christmas rolls around, and it is delicious. I don't know if egg nog and wassail count as desserts, but the only time I get to have those is around the holidays and they are exquisite.

No comments: